Italy (Feb-Apr 2015)

This travelling experience has so much meaning to me. It reflects a time in my life that I recognized the importance of self-reliance. Communicating in a language I did not fully understand, I learned the importance of reading body language and social cues. This exchange challenged and pushed me to limits I did not know existed. It made me understand that being put in an unfamiliar environment helped me grow as a person, and it also helped to develop a strong sense of self. I learned to be adaptive and trust my judgment. With this reflection, it makes me confident going into the classroom. Not only will I teach the curriculum, but I will help guide students in finding their sense of self.

Costa Rica (March 2012)

This experience brought meaning to my world, because it showed me perspective. As we traveled across the country, it showcased so many different types of living. It had me acknowledge how I grew up, the different  socioeconomic standard and privilege of living in Canada. I learned this valuable perspective, traveling through the beautifully lush, yet impoverished, areas of Costa Rica. I started to recognize that socio-economic statuses are real, and that we need to be aware of them.  It starts to make me think of what we can do as individuals to strive to achieve quality living across the globe. This travel experience also made me recognize that location is a huge part of growing foods, and I was so grateful to experience the fresh produce here. Using this knowledge in the classroom, it will help broaden perspectives and inclusivtiy in the classroom.

Colosseum in Rome
Sailing the sea in Rimini
Duomo di Milano