My teaching philosophy is centered around inclusivity and perspective and my goal is to make sure this is incorporated in the classroom. Tara Westover’s quote used from her book “educated,” encompasses a circular understanding of how important it is to recognize inclusivity and perspective and how to broadcast it in everyday life. 

Personal Philosophy: Perspective and Inclusivity 

“Everything I had worked for, all my years of study had been to purchase myself this one privilege: to see and experience more truths than those given to me by my Father, and to use those truths to construct my own mind” (Westover, 2018, p.374-375).

The meaning behind Westover’s quote is to describe that growing up, there are things that are pushed, forced, and taught to you that may not always be what you compartmentalize as you get older and start to become educated. Being able to recognize that education varies depending on individual fundamentals, and understanding that all the information being taught, can be subjective depending on a person. Meaning you are your narrator in the education you choose to believe, and what you choose to do with it. This quote is something that resonated with me because growing up, it was easy to believe what you are surrounded with. But when you start to use education to guide you, it can be eye-opening, and you begin to see the “truths” of things going on around; you start to experience perspective. 

Relating this quote to my teaching philosophy is something I find important. My teaching philosophy is to incorporate different perspectives, be inclusive of individual fundamentals, and encourage students to seek out information that helps them understand the world around them. A way I would incorporate this into the classroom is the idea of critical pedagogy. Allowing students to recognize that all perspectives and experiences are valued and important. Inspiration comes from Leanna Katz’s (2014) article “Teacher’s Reflections on Critical Pedagogy”  where one of the participating teachers explained her dynamic in class: “[i]n my class we have 31 teachers and 31 students” (Katz, 2014, para 26). This allows for students to start to understand there is not just one way of living, but it varies depending on your background, family, socioeconomic status, or what you believe in. This is why my teaching philosophy is centered are perspectives and inclusivity and why it relates to Westover’s words. 

Katz, Leanna. (2014). Teacher’s Reflection on Critical Pedagogy. InterActions:

UCLA Journal of Education and Information Studies. 

Westover, T. (2018). Educated: A Memoir.Random House, New York.Â